DAR
alt

In June of 1900, New Hampshire DAR State Regent Mrs. Josiah Carpenter recommended that the recently formed Exeter Chapter NSDAR mark historic sites about town with appropriate inscriptions. In 1901, the first five sites were chosen and marked with slate plaques. In the Exeter News-Letter, Miss Katherine Merrill, chairman of the tablet committee, reported on the progress of having markers made and installed. Her descriptions are noted below.


pix Folsom Tavern
The slate plaque placed at the home of Miss Elizabeth Ewer on Saturday, May 4, 1901, is described as "slate, a foot in height pixand 28 inches wide, secured to the house by ornamental screws, and the sunken letters of the inscription, plainly legible from the sidewalk, are gilded." The inscription reads "Gen. Washington was entertained in this house Nov. 4, 1879." This property is now known as the Folsom Tavern and is located on Water Street.


pixLadd-Gilman House
The home of Mr. John T. Perry, great-grandson of Nicholas Gilman, was marked the same day, though the slate tablet is somewhat smaller. This property served as the location of the New Hampshire State Treasury from 1775 to 1789, when Nicholas Gilman served as treasurer. This property is now known as the Ladd-Gilman House, and is home to the American Independence Museum.


pixGilman Garrison House
The slate tablet placed on the Gilman Garrison House, which was placed in April of 1901, has been lost. The Gilman Garrison House was built as a fortified home, designed to protect the sawmills and waterpower sites of Esq. John Gilman. The house is located on the corner of Water and Clifford Streets and is open to the public.


pixLewis Cass Birthplace
The Lewis Cass birthplace, owned at the time by Mr. John Gilman, was marked on Monday, August 5, 1901. pixLewis Cass was educated at the local Phillips Exeter Academy. He was Governor General of the Michigan Territory, and later served as Secretary of State under President Buchanan. Cass served as a member of the United States Senate from 1845-1856. This property is privately owned.


pixGeneral Enoch Poor Home Site
The plaque honoring General Enoch Poor was placed on the front of what was then the News-Letter Building on early Tuesday morning, August 6, 1901. General Enoch Poor settled in Exeter, and became a successful merchant and shipbuilder. Appointed Colonel in the 3rd New Hampshire Regiment, Poor was commissioned as a Brigadier General in 1777. The plaque reads, "Gen. Enoch Poor lived on this site 1765-1780." This property is on Water Street.




Since Its early years, the Exeter Chapter NSDAR has continued with the tradition of marking significant places in Exeter.

pixReverend Samuel Dudley
A memorial tablet was placed on the grave of Samuel Dudley, Pastor of the First Church in Exeter. The tablet was first placed in 1908-1910, and replaced in 1959-1962, and it reads, "Rev. Samuel Dudley, son of Gov. Thomas Dudley, born in England 1610, Pastor First Church 1630-1683, Died in Exeter Feb. 10, 1683."



pixWilliam Robinson
A slate tablet was placed on the birthplace of William Robinson, founder of the Robinson Female Seminary. The slate was placed between 1925 - 1927. The house was demolished in 1933. This slate tablet is now at the Exeter Historical Society.




pixWinter Street Cemetery Gates
Between 1916 - 1918, iron gates were placed at the entrance to the Winter Street Cemetery by the chapter. The Winter Street Cemetery is the final resting place of many of the early settlers of the town and several Revolutionary Soldiers; including Nathaniel Folsom, John Gilman, Sr., George Sullivan, Jeremiah Smith, and Samuel Tenney.


pixOld Powder House
The Old Powder House, located on Duck Point on the east bank of the Squamscott River, was marked by the chapter between 1924-1927. The chapter placed a wooden sign on the other side of the river, which pointed in the direction of the Powder House. The sign was placed at the foot of Secretary Hill on Swasey Parkway.



pixGeorge Washington Bicentennial
A tablet was placed on a large boulder beside the ceremonial elm tree, planted in West End Park in commemoration of the George Washington Bicentennial, on May 28, 1932. The elm tree later died, and was replaced on April 28, 2000, with a red maple tree. The chapter updated the inscription on the boulder, honoring Bea Worden Dalton, chapter member and New Hampshire State Regent, 1995-1998.





pixReverend Samuel Dudley Home Site
During the Tercentenary Celebration of 1938, the chapter marked the home site of the Reverend Samuel Dudley farm with a bronze marker on a boulder taken from the Dudley farm. In 1960, the chapter replaced the memorial with the current marker. The marker reads, "Across the road stood the home of Rev. Samuel Dudley, Town Minister of Exeter, 1650-1683. Erected by Exeter Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, March 7, 1960, this memorial is the replacement of one unveiled June 30, 1938."



pixGrave of Josiah Stevens
In 1929, the chapter marked the grave of Reverend Josiah Stevens with a bronze Soldier of the American Revolution marker and flag. Josiah Stevens is the only Revolutionary War soldier buried at the Isles of Shoals. His grave is on Star Island.





pixPark Street Common
The Exeter Chapter NSDAR received a citation for the first Bicentennial Liberty Tree planting in New Hampshire for a Red Oak, planted November 6, 1974, and dedicated on May 21, 1975. The Liberty Tree was planted to honor the Bicentennial of the United States, and commemorates the brave men of the Revolutionary era who trained at the Common. A marble marker was placed near the Red Oak Liberty Tree on May 14, 1983, and reads, "This Liberty Tree dedicated for the Bicentennial by Exeter Chapter DAR, May 1975."



More recently, the chapter placed a plaque at Kensington Town Hall, accompanied by a planting of a lilac bush, honoring Shirley Thivierge, New Hampshire DAR State Chaplain.

In addition, DAR markers have been placed on the graves of 149 Revolutionary War soldiers in Exeter and the vicinity.